Wednesday 9 June 2010

ipad no roam from home when in Lux

Imagine my disappointment when the new iPad I bought was rendered pretty much useless and incapacitated while on my trip last Thursday and Friday to Luxembourg.

I went to the trouble to sign up with Vodafone over O2 for the mobile package because Vodafone offered roaming.

But the ipad packs a mini-sim. And I went to an Apple store and a telco store in Lux to discover that the 3 networks in Lux have not upgraded to the mini-sim.

Apple is pushing the technology in the iPad so much that the telco networks are upgrading / adapting to use the mini-sim. Amazing isn't it.

The hotel I was staying at didn't have straight forward wifi. So I couldn't use it there. And at client meetings, they didn't have wifi full stop, so I couldn't get online there.

I was away for two full days with no internet connection on my ipad. It felt wrong.

One thing that really hits home is how the iPad is a slave to a master PC. You really need to keep driving content onto the iPad from a PC/Mac. Photos, music, videos. You can download applications from the Apple store on the device (which I couldn't even do in Lux) and use the internet but pretty much anything else you need a pc/mac for.

Happy surfing....



Location:Duke's Ave,Hounslow,United Kingdom

Location:Devonshire Passage,Hounslow,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment